- Families with teenage drivers
- Drivers who are prone to texting
The SmartSafe is a revolutionary USPTO patent approved anti-texting device intended to be an add-on package, modifying existing automobiles console to the Smart Safe specifications.
This device is aimed at teenage drivers or those prone to texting while driving. The primary safety feature of the SmartSafe is a “smart start” system, which prevents the car from starting while the driver’s phone is unsecured. Once the phone is locked into the smart safe, the car can be driven once again. This product prevents texting while the driver is operating the vehicle by securing the smartphone and other devices such as Apple Watch and Smart Glasses.
How it Works
After entering the car, the driver will push a button on the SmartSafe console, which will send a text to the driver’s phone confirming “yes” to verify that the smartphone is registered within the Smart Safe. Once the driver confirms “yes,” and pushes the button on SmartSafe console, it will open, and the driver will place their phone inside. The phone will be connected to an internal USB charger before locking shut. When the driver reaches their destination, they will push a button on the SmartSafe to unlock the phone, only after the system detects that the vehicle is safely parked.
US Patent No.: 10440633
- UV-C LED strips to sanitize the devices
- Charging unit for any devices placed inside
- Devices are kept in the sealed console unit
- Integration with hands-free navigation apps on a vehicle’s dashboard such as Amazon Alexa, Waze, Google Maps, and more
- Cooling fan to keep devices at the manufacturer-recommended temperature
- Capable of securely holding other valuables
- An EMS battery to prevent any radiation emitted from the phone.
- A convenient sunglasses and wallet holder
- Colored LED light strips for a fun ambiance within the safe as well as infrared lights on the left and right walls of the unit inside.
- Two falcon wings with soundproof padding to prevent potential distraction to the driver (from a text alert, for example)
- A transmitter that can sync with the driver’s smart home systems and automatically trigger lighting profiles, smart appliances or open the garage door when the car arrives in the driveway
- The transmitter can also automatically call for police assistance in the event of an accident.
- A voice recognition microphone with Alexa and Garmin Speak integration can provide driving directions or purchase songs heard on the radio.
- Override concept in the event your phone is lost (patent pending)
2020 Texting & Driving Statistics
The CDC and National Safety Council report that cell phone use while driving causes an alarming number of accidents each year. According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, distracted driving is “a dangerous epidemic on American roadways.”
Of all car accidents
Existing Solutions Are Not Working
Making an Impact
SmartSafe is an innovative product for automobiles that aims to prevent texting while driving. The console interior is equipped with UV-C LED strips to sanitize the driver’s phone or other gadgets registered with the SmartSafe, all of which will prevent any virus from spreading. An ems battery will eliminate radiation from the smartphone. The SmartSafe also has soundproof padding, which will prevent the driver from being distracted from any calls, text messages, or other notifications.
About the Developer
Tarkan Bastiyali was born in Dusseldorf, Germany, to a Turkish-German family.
After graduating from the New York University Department of History with honors in 2000, Tarkan successfully converted his family’s building on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan into a one-of-a-kind textile boutique building that has been featured several times in the magazine Home Textiles Today.
In 2006, Tarkan opened the Midtown Loft and Terrace in New York City. The venue’s two top floors have hosted events for many Fortune 500 companies, including Google, Yelp, IBM, Samsung, Facebook, Salesforce, Ralf Lauren, Disney, and Universal Studios.
On weekends, the venue hosts weddings, bar and bat mitzvahs, and sweet sixteen parties. The venue has been featured on NBC’s The Apprentice and Hollywood movies such as The Girl on the Train. Tarkan has also helped many charity organizations by offering the use of the venue as a donation. The event space is also well known in Europe, particularly in the U.K., and has hosted many corporate and wedding clients hailing from the U.K.
Tarkan’s motivation is to have a positive impact on the world. The most important day for many people is their wedding day, and for the past 16 years, Tarkan has made his space affordable for wedding clients, and as of 2019, it has won the Bridal Choice Award from Wedding Wire for Ten years in a row.
In 2019, Tarkan Bastiyali was inducted into Marquis Who’s Who in America.
Between 2017 and 2021, Tarkan filed for eight patents, three of which were approved by the United States Patent and Trademark Protection Agency (USTPA), with others pending.
In 2020, Tarkan and his wife Viktoriya launched www.Bastiyaliinventions.com, showcasing their business ventures, patented inventions, and futuristic concepts. In 2020 Tarkan and his wife Viktoriya founded the Smart Sanitizer www.smartsanitizer.com and sponsored NASCAR and the NHRA. On October 10, 2021, the driver Justin Ashley of the smart sanitizer car won the NHRA Texas Fall Nationals. With that victory, the driver had an overall ranking of 3 out of 40 in the NHRA.
Tarkan married his wife Viktoriya in 2005. The couple has a daughter, Aryanna, and a son, Adryan. Tarkan credits most of his success to his wife’s support and partnership. Tarkan also enjoys hobbies such as boating, tennis, and basketball. Tarkan resides in the Upper East Side during the week and at a house in Southampton on the weekends.